Thursday, January 30, 2014

NSTOY Conference - Day 4 Reflection

Inspired Educators - Representatives from the 50 states and 4 US Territories
It is hard to believe how much can transpire in a short week when surrounded by so many remarkable people.  Having come to Phoenix with little understanding of the TOY journey ahead of me, I find myself leaving this conference with a new vision for myself and a strong desire to return home and create change in education.  I've been challenged, motivated, provoked, questioned, and, ultimately, inspired to move forward from this conference with a new vision for education and a new understanding of the role I can play in bringing it into fruition.

As always, I know that I will struggle with finding a balance between my work and personal lives.  My driven nature always pushes me to do more than I probably should, especially with two young children and an incredibly supportive wife at home.  I'm kind of like a light switch; I only have an "on" and an "off".  For me, I have always struggled with sprinting ahead, when I should be taking on a marathon pace.  This will be even more vital in this upcoming year, when I will desire to do as much as possible with this unique and honorable opportunity.
Myself, Luke Foley-2014 Vermont Teacher of the Year with
Angela Ross- Vermont Agency of Education Public Relations

But this brings up another challenge.  While it seems impossible that I could add more to my plate, I also don't want to drop some of the projects that I've been working so diligently on over the past few years.  I want to engage in educational policy reform on all levels, but I don't want to neglect our Farm to School program.  I want to attend national conferences as a representative of my state, yet I care about the Curriculum Committee in my school.  I'm looking forward to a trip to the White House in April, but I wonder who will coach my track kids while I'm gone.  I don't know if I can do it all.  But I'm going to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment